Thursday, November 7, 2013

Student Challenge: Sunbathing Sea Lions

Some sea lions are lying in the sun on two rocks in the harbor. The sea lions on the larger rock shout over to the sea lions on the smaller rock: "If one of you comes over here, there will be twice as many sea lions in our group as in yours." The sea lions on the smaller rock reply: "Well, if one of you comes over here, our numbers will be equal."

How many sea lions are there on each rock?

For a blog point, place your answer in a closed envelope addressed to "Mr. Koch." Put your name and grade as the return address. Deliver it to Mr. Koch at school. 

p.s. If you can't find me, your teacher can put it in my mailbox too!
p.p.s. You can add comments, but DON'T leave your answer in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. They are both prime and odd numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both are odd and they can change into even and become doubles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!! I think I got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so easy. You should know my answer by 11/13/13 if I get it to you. This is to fellow G.T. students: both numbers are odd. To Neha Chintala: you shouldn't have said they were both prime, that gives it away. I'm happy I got the answer myself, though.(I haven't been on the blog for 2 weeks, so I haven't sen any recent posts until now.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got it! I also used a different way than guessing.


    By Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the answer for relatives too

    ReplyDelete